Behind the Scenes, Uncategorized

Swatching board

I went back to swatching board for the Las Cruces shawl crochet version, see previous post to catch up if needed.

As promised on my Instagram Live, see IG bio to watch replay, here are the pictures I took of my progress.

First attempt in actual colors.

This is the one I started after lying to myself about the swatch being okay.

The pink one is a pattern from a book. The red and green isn’t quite right but looking at it now I could have lied to myself again…

I got smart and have at this point started asking my daughter for help and her thoughts. She told me to keep trying.

Here are the 3. The bottom is my final pattern.

I have now worked the first 5 rows of the pattern in the final colors. My daughter is pushing me not to really look at the work until I have worked as many rows on it as I did in the swatch in the photo above. I’m about half way there. Stay tuned.

Standard
Uncategorized

Las Cruces Shawl the Crochet version

Here is the first swatch that I was happy with. I have since ripped it out, but made enough notes that I could duplicate it.

Here is the beginning of my shawl…

I was lying to myself about the swatch laying the way it needs to. It didn’t really I just moved it around and thought more rows and blocking would take care of it. Nope those things aren’t going to help.

So today I’m back at the swatching board having learned a few things and with some new ideas. I won’t be ripping the “final” shwatch this time, just in case I need a reality check.

Standard
Uncategorized

Not Quite

I really wanted the knit version of Brick and Mortar to be reversible like the crochet version. No practical reason, I just think it’s fun.

Someone saw what I was doing and while they were thinking aloud said “If one was worked on the back…”

I took that thought and stuck it away for a couple of days and then had an idea of how to use that info. I’m not going to go into detail.

I got it! The knit version in now reversible!

Yay! So ripped out the progress I had made on the knitted hat. I started putting the work back in using this new info. After 2 bricks I decided to turn it inside out and have a look. Before I did I noticed I messed up and didn’t work enough rounds of the main color between mortar rounds. Oh well it still looked okay and the slip stitches were fine. I turned the hat inside out and here is what I saw…

Not quite as reversible as I thought. The missing main color rounds really make it noticeable. The color changes are very obvious on the other side of the knit version. It wasn’t as noticeable in the sample I made real quick, photos above, because the colors were different enough to see the mortar color but close enough to not see the color change issue.

Here is the inside of the knitted mitt. You can see the color change stripes. So I ripped the hat for the a second time that afternoon. It is still waiting to be put back in. I’m trying to decide if I want to go down a needle size and if I still want ribbing.

All part of the process.

Standard
Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar

The brick and mortar mitts didn’t feel complete without a hat.

I have finished the crocheted version of the hat. When changing colors I had the choice of carrying the yarn or cutting and reconnecting the “mortar” color at each change.

Carried from round 1 to round 6.

I decided to cut and reconnect. I know it makes for more ends but I really wanted this hat to be as reversible as the mitts are.

Just have to clip the ends!

I’m going to lightly block the hat before I take final pictures and call it done. Because of the gauge and the number of stitches required for the repeat, it fits a bit snug. Blocking should help out with that.

Standard